If I am honest, I began today – my 32nd birthday – feeling a little bit sorry for myself; feeling fat, old and broke. But after a wonderfully ordinary day of custom art presents from two very talented monsters; a shortened work day and a cheeky late afternoon nap I remembered something.
I remembered that I don’t actually give a flying &*^%…. (sorry kids, my mum reads this).
You see, I could write you a list of 31 things I learned when I was 31 but we all know I’ll get too bored by the time I got to point 5. And I’m pretty sure everything I’ve learned in the past few years is pretty easy to sum up in a few short sentences.
- I can do it. I have done it. I will continue to do it. And the people who matter know I can do it as well.
- Gin is truly delicious, and the more gin I try the more delicious it seems to become.
- Motherhood is the most complicated adventure I will ever embark on, I may as well enjoy the ride as perfection is not an option.
- I prefer to be healthy, even if it means eating less cake. However I loathe wasting my time on bad food.
- I am an extremely ambitious person in ways my younger self never imagined.
- I like attention.
- I am not infallible.
Oh look, I made it to 7.
But tonight I packed my kids in the car after tea, even though it was after pj time and took them to my favourite place. I need more of that in my life and less of the other stuff. Because if I can’t now, when will I?